- Why Having a Lodged Kidney Stone is Like Being Very Pregnant
- Steering a Course in Marriage
- The Horror of Circumcision
- The Dilemma of the Step-Grandma
- Is Trailblazing Overrated?
- School Administration Power Trips
- The Quickest Way to Peel an Avocado
- Garden Flags – The Birth of a Collector
- How to Clean Like a Professional
- How to Get Past a Fight with Your Spouse
- Is It Safe to Thaw Meat on the Counter?
- Who We Are: The Sum of Our Experiences
- What’s That Smell? Episode Two.
- What’s That Smell?
Author Archives: DS
You are so tired of carrying this thing around—the bloating, the pain, the nausea, the endless doctors’ appointments. You just want it out of you already! It kicks at odd times with a ferocity that doubles you over and makes … Continue reading
Several years ago, I left big-town suburbia and moved to a tiny town in the middle of nowhere. It was a huge lifestyle change. Even though I lived in a town, my life felt very rustic. So my mom bought … Continue reading
My stepdaughter had her newborn son circumcised today. I knew if she had a boy that she intended to have that done, but I had hoped once her baby was born, she would look in his sweet, trusting eyes and … Continue reading
My husband’s daughter has just had a baby. Yay, woo-hoo, congratulations. No, really, I’m very happy for them. But can I be excused from being too deliriously enthusiastic about it? And is it okay if I don’t really consider myself a grandma yet? The … Continue reading
Some people lead. Some people follow. I do neither. I go out and quietly do unusual things that other people eventually start doing. But they don’t do those things because I blazed a trail. Someone else eventually gets the same … Continue reading
My 15-year-old son called me on his cell phone from school yesterday because he didn’t feel well and wanted to come home. He had left the classroom on a bathroom pass to do this and then returned to class. I … Continue reading